Re: kernel bugzilla is FPOS (was: Re: "buggy cmd640" message followed by soft lockup)

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 01:30:06AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Monday, 26 of November 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > That's not possible, but as already said it's not required.
> > And more important, it's unrelated to any problems we have.
> >
> > And it sounds funny that you first write specifications mandating stuff
> > like "IMO, first, it should ask for what the bug is against" and then
> > demand an additional email interface that bypasses everything you
> > demanded previously.
>
> I just realize that there are people who wouldn't like to use the web interface
> and would prefer to use email instead.

In the cases where these are kernel developers that do (or should)
handle dozens of bugs each week I see a point if they have problems
integrating some medium into their workflow.

But in all software, no matter whether open source or commercial, bug
reporters simply have to use whatever the vendor offers as support
channel.

> Moreover, you won't force people to use the web interface only for reporting
> bugs, because frankly for some kinds of problems it's too heavywieght

That developers who know what they are doing might bypass the bug
tracking is not a problem.

> (compilation problems and purely software, reproducible things like that are
> much faster resolved using email; this also applies to easily reproducible bugs
> in general).  Still, it wouldn't hurt if they were automatically tracked.

This sounds like "a bit pregnant"...

Tracking requires things like e.g. categorizing the issue and marking it
as fixed when it got fixed.

> > > Also, if you "switch to email", and then want to switch back to the web
> > > interface, the Cc list from the email messages will be lost.
> >
> > The perfect is the enemy of the good.
>
> Sure.
>
> Greetings,
> Rafael