Re: kernel bugzilla is FPOS (was: Re: "buggy cmd640" message followed by soft lockup)

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:07:23PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 of November 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > >
> > > Good idea, IMO.
> >
> > Good idea ... for pissing off bug submitters.
> >
> > We have many bug reports in the Bugzilla with very responsive submitters
> > who wrote very good bug reports but have the bad luck that it's in an
> > area without a maintainer looking after the bug.
>
> These are two different issues.
>
> On the one hand, I don't see anything wrong with encouraging bug reporters to
> test new kernels, especially if the reported problems depend on hardware, as it
> is possible that the bug will get fixed as a result of a loosely related change
> (like a fix for another bug etc.).  [Still, in such cases it would be good to
> identify the change that fixes the problem anyway.]

It's not that much a different issue:

If there was for each bug a maintainer looking soon after it, we should
not have many bugs open for a longer time.

> OTOH, the situations in which good bug reports are not responded to are not
> acceptable.  There should be a way to make developers take care of _their_
> code, because by not doing so they hurt us all, big time.

There are two different cases:
- no maintainer at all
- maintainer is too busy with other stuff for looking at bug reports

But both cases boil down to the point of how to find maintainers...

> > > Alternatively, we can give a Bugzilla link here pointing to the entry which
> > > contains a pointer to the original discussion.  [This may be more convenient,
> > > since some bugs are reported multiple times and tracked separately to the point
> > > in which it turns out that they really are the same.]
> >

> > It would be best if bugs would initially be entered in Bugzilla.
>
> The Bugzilla has a considerable "barrier to entry" for new bug reporters, as
> it pretends to require them to spend quite a lot of time on the bug report.

First of all, Bugzilla is a quite often used bug tracker in the open
source world [1], so many users already know it.

But more important, "it pretends to require them to spend" isn't true
because there's no pretending - we actually often require bug reporters
to spend a lot of time on the bug report (e.g. when asking for
bisecting).

I'm also sometimes writing bug reports in different areas, and in my
experience it doesn't matter whether it's web-based Bugzilla, the
email-based Debian bug tracker or whatever else system - the time spent
on a good bug report is not spend on pasting the text whereever or on
clicking on a few boxes, the time is spent on tracking the issue down
and writing a good bug report.

What matters for a bug reporter is to get a solution for his problem
within a reasonable amount of time.

> Also, some developers do not consider the Bugzilla as a useful thing and
> wouldn't like to use it (which is why this thread has appeared, among other
> things ;-)).

And that's part of the problem.

Bugzilla is a usable tool, but it isn't the only tool available.

If there was one tool all developers would be willing to use that would
be a reason why we should switch to whatever tool this is.

> Greetings,
> Rafael

cu
Adrian

[1] my Seamonkey knows my passwords for more than a dozen Bugzillas

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed