Re: Why is FIBMAP ioctl root only?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:17:14 +0100
Jan Kara <[email protected]> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I guess subject says it all - why is FIBMAP ioctl restricted only to
> root (CAP_SYS_RAWIO)? Corresponding ioctl for XFS is allowed without
> any special capabilities so we are inconsistent here too...
>   Would anyone mind if the check is removed?

probably principle of least privilege; the location on physical media
for a file is clearly something internal to the OS, and non-trusted
users normally don't have any business knowing that.

I can't think of any immediate exploitable thing with it, but I'm sure
attackers would find a way to use it to increase their privilege once
they can do something like "write 512 bytes to a disk address of my
choice".. (but then again it's game over mostly already)

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use [email protected]
visit http://www.lesswatts.org