Re: RTL2831U kernel driver

Em Qui, 2007-11-22 às 12:33 +0000, Vic escreveu:
> Hi All.
>
> Sorry for the breach of netiquette - I'm not subscribed to the list
> (please CC: me on anything important!), but I'm not really up to much a s
> a kernel contributor...
>
> Anyway - here's the reason for my posting. I've got a kernel driver for
> the RTL2831U device (a DVB-T device) from Realtek. Just this morning, I
> got an email from them agreeing to release it under GPL.
>
> It currently has no copright notices at all

Kernel is GPLv2. So, the driver should be released under GPLv2 only or
GPLv2 or later.

>  - I think I should add Realtek attributions to it.

I would be better if someone from Realtek could send the driver. Anyway,
any driver submitted to kernel should be signed with a SOB.

There's a guide on how to submit a driver to kernel. For convenience,
they are briefly summarized at
http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_submit_patches

> Then what should I do?

It would be nice if you can subscribe to Linux DVB mailing [1] list and
post the driver there. The list is open to users and to developers, so,
maybe it would be interesting for you to participate there.

If you are not willing to subscribe to DVB ML, please copy V4L/DVB
maintainers mailing list[2] on this subject. This list allows you to
post even not being a subscriber.

[2] [email protected]

It is important to submit the driver either to DVB or V4L/DVB
maintainers ML, since this will allow all developers to take a look at
the driver, checking for eventual issues, and helping to improve it.
Several developers are not subscribed to LKML (or don't read it
regularly).

Cheers,
Mauro