Re: CONFIG_IRQBALANCE for 64-bit x86 ?

Mark Lord wrote:

Perhaps, but this also violates the principle that the kernel
should just *work* with sensible defaults.  I don't use an initrd,
or an initramfs, and have no intention of ever doing so.

I *like* having a single boot image with no unneeded/unwanted complexity.
It's only recently that I've even come round to using some loadable
modules for things like network drivers -- I prefer a single image
for as much as possible (like Linus there).

If putting a C-library and utilities "into the kernel" still leaves
me with a single image file, then.. maybe.  Seems clumsy, though.

That was the whole point of klibc, and in fact it was in -mm that way for a while. Linus rejected it at the time on the grounds that it added no new features, only moved existing features to userspace.

The unified build tree has since then bitrotted slightly due to lack of time on my part, but it wouldn't be hard at all to bring it up to current.

	-hpa