Re: [perfmon] Re: [perfmon2] perfmon2 merge news

Paul,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:43:32AM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> David Miller writes:
>
> > As a result I've found that perfmon2 is quite nice and allows
> > incredibly useful and powerful tools to be written.  The syscalls
> > aren't that bad and really I see not reason to block it's inclusion.
> >
> > I rescind all of my earlier objections, let's merge this soon :-)
>
> Strongly agree.  However, I think we need to add structure size
> arguments to most of the syscalls so we can extend them later.

Yes, that is one way. It works well if you only extend structures at the end.
Given that you need to obtain the file descriptor first via a pfm_create_context
call, an alternative could be that you pass a version number to that call to
identify the version the application is requesting.

> Also, something I've been meaning to mention to Stephane is that the
> use of the cast_ulp() macro in perfmon is bogus and won't work on
> 32-bit big-endian platforms such as ppc32 and sparc32.  On such

I don't like those cast_ulp() macros. They were put there to avoid compiler
warnings on some architectures. Clearly with the big-endian issue, we need
to find something else. The bitmap*() macros make unsigned long *.

The interface uses fixed size type to ensure ABI compatibility between
32 and 64 bit modes. This way there is no need to marhsall syscall arguments
for a 32-bit app running on a 64-bit host.

Looks like we will have to use bytes (u8) instead.  This may have some
performance impact as well. Several bitmaps are used in the context/interrupt
routines. Even with u8, there is still a problem with the bitmap*() macros.
Now, only a small subset of the bitmap() macros are used, so it may be okay
to duplicate them for u8.

What do you think?

--

-Stephane