Re: NFS Bug in 2.6.23 ? SOLUTION ?

Trond Myklebust wrote:

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 19:44 +0100, Gianluca Alberici wrote:
Trond,

The problem is in nfs_mountpoint_timeout. After this time dentry_delete(/,4) removes the mountpoint, then it is very difficult to automount (at least with CFSD), one has got to try 2 or three times cd'ing into the mount point. Applications wont ever had the chance to autoremount (ENOTDIR).

Sounds like CFSD has a bug w.r.t. what fsid it returns to the client.

Very likely...and im sure its not the one...unfortunately CFSD has not been mantained for a very long time (i think 2001)
but in the end up to 2.6.20 has done its job very well...

I have some questions:

- nfs_mountpoint_timeout seems to be set in sysctl.c even if nfsv4 is not. Is this correct ? I've read somewhere that it was introduced for v4.

Wrong. It applies to all mountpoint crossing. If the server tells us
that the fsid has changed, then we create a new mountpoint.

- Why this sysctl is not registered in my 2.6.20 kernel where it should be registered ?

Prior to 2.6.21-rc5, we had a bug in register_nfs_fs() whereby it failed
to register the sysctl table unless you enabled NFSv4.

- Why this parameter has not a 'disabled' value (i mean kind of -1) ?

Why should it?
For backwards compatilbility ? Couldn't be useful to have the chance to make NFS client act exactly as it always did, at least as an option, to talk to 'ancient NFS servers' ?

Or at least have the chance to set this timeout to infinity ?

Many thanks for your time, best regards,

Gianluca

The current behaviour is quite correct. If you cross a
mountpoint, then you should remount in order to ensure that the inode
numbers remain unique per-filesystem.
We know that some ancient NFS servers had problems returning the correct
fsid in readdirplus replies, so 2.6.22 adds support to disable
readdirplus calls via a 'nordirplus' mount option. I guess you could try
that...

Trond