HP Pavilion DV6408nr timer/irq related? hard lockup

(I'm not on the list, please CC me in your replies)

I have a HP DV6409nr Pavilion notebook that came preloaded with
Windows Vista that Linux doesn't seem to want to boot properly on.

Currently, 'noapic noirqdebug' sort-of works for x86_64 kernels, but
Vista seems to be able to use the APIC just fine.  I've disassembled
the BIOS to pull out the bios pirq and routing table and from what I
can tell, it's pretty flexible -- Linux and Vista both set up the same
IRQs when in APIC mode, save for the HPET.  Vista sticks the HPET on
IRQ 0 and 8, Linux sticks it on 2, 8, and 31.  The two USB controllers
get assigned IRQ 22 in both Vista and Linux, but under Linux a few
seconds after accessing a USB device causes the system to lock up
solid without an oops.  Most of all I'm trying to get this laptop
running in APIC mode so I can run Xen.

This system has no serial port, and USB seems to be problematic; can
anyone suggest how to figure out what is causing the lock up?  When
the system freezes, it locks up so solid that sysrq doesn't work.