Re: 2.6.24 regression: hibernation hangs on "Suspending console" in low-battery condition

On Sunday 11 November 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 of November 2007, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

> > > Have you tried it with the battery removed?
> > >

> > It works. Subjectively I have relatively long pause after first Suspending console
> > message (where it hangs otherwise), according to dmesg timestamp it is about
> > 1 second before next messages appear. Also last two times I tried it writeout
> > of suspend image was really slow; it was both with and without battery. Reading
> > on resume in really in order of magnitude faster.
> >
> > But manual STD so far works both on AC (with or without battery) or on battery.
> >
> > Of course it is possible that battery gets exhausted during STD, but system
> > is not switched off. Rather I would suspect something like ACPI notification
> > that comes during freeze ...
>
> Frankly, I'm suspecting a deadlock in the ACPI code.
>
> Please try to make kpowersave start hibernation a bit earlier and see what
> happens.
>
> What's your critical time now?

it was set to 5%. Setting it to 10% makes it work, but it just confirms what I
said before - suspend-to-RAM in normal battery conditions (or without battery)
works. With 5% threshold I have visible indication of alarm from *firmware* -
battery LED flashing.

Something happens differently when battery is in dangerous state. I tried patch
4c41d3ad6544f1c9aec37c441af04f5d0ad3a731 (got from ACPI tree) but it did not
change anything. It worked once when I left system on battery with artificial
load (find . -exec md5sum in linux tree in a loop) but I suspect it is just
because it just triggered limit earlier. (Frankly I do not know which percentage
kpowersave computes)