Re: [patch 01/28] cpu alloc: The allocator

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, David Miller wrote:

> > I have not looked at sparc32 sorry. If you simply set up a couple of
> > configuration values in arch/sparc32/Kconfig then everything will be fine.
>
> There is assembler code to write, which as I stated several
> times nobody is going to work on or test.

There is no assembly code required. I overdid it in the patch that I sent
you trying to make sparc64 use large mappings like x86_64 NUMA. You really
do not need that. Look at the IA64 and i386 configurations. There is no C
code required. The x86_64 code only adds some special C code for the NUMA
case.

> > All MMU platforms can use the virtual mappings. The main use of the static
> > configuration is for embedded systems.
>
> Someone has to implement and test VMEMMAP now on all of these
> architectures, it is becomming a requirement unlike in the sparsemem
> patches case where it was optional.
>
> That's unreasonable.

VMEMMAP is something different from the cpu allocator. All MMU platforms
have vmalloc support and you even suggested the use of vmalloc.