Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

On Tuesday November 13, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 November 2007 07:08, Mark Lord wrote:
> > Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > ..
> >
> > > This is all QA-101 that _cannot be argued against on a rational basis_,
> > > it's just that these sorts of things have been largely ignored for
> > > years, in favor of the all-too-easy "open source means many eyeballs and
> > > that is our QA" answer, which is a _good_ answer but by far not the most
> > > intelligent answer! Today "many eyeballs" is simply not good enough and
> > > nature (and other OS projects) will route us around if we dont change.
> >
> > ..
> >
> > QA-101 and "many eyeballs" are not at all in opposition.
> > The latter is how we find out about bugs on uncommon hardware,
> > and the former is what we need to track them and overall quality.
> >
> > A HUGE problem I have with current "efforts", is that once someone
> > reports a bug, the onus seems to be 99% on the *reporter* to find
> > the exact line of code or commit.  Ghad what a repressive method.
>
> This is the only method that scales.

That sounds overly hash, and the rest of you mail sounds much more
moderate and sensible - I can only assume you were using hyperbole??

Putting the "onus on the reporter" is simply not going to work unless
you have a business relationship.  In the community, we are all
volunteering our time (well, maybe my employer is volunteering my time
to do community support, but the effect is the same).

I would hope that the focus of developers is to empower bug reporters
to provide further information (and as has been said, "git bisect" is
a great empowerer).  Some people will be incredibly help, especially
if you ask politely and say thankyou.  Others won't for any of a
number of reasons - and maybe that means their bug won't get fixed.

To my eyes, the "only method that scales" is investing effort in
encouraging and training bug reporters.  Some of that effort might not
produce results, but when others among those you have encouraged start
answering the newbee questions on the list and save you the time, you
get a distinct feeling that it was all worth while.

I think we are in agreement - I just wanted to take issue with that
one sentence :-)  The rest is great.

NeilBrown