Re: Posix file capabilities in 2.6.24rc2

Hello Serge,

I wanted only to express what I observed.

A "yes it should" confirms its ok.

And yes, I haven't looked into the patches and the name and commentary
of file-capabilities-clear-fcaps-on-inode-change.patch explains this
already.
I'm preparing to update my page http://www.friedhoff.org/fscaps.html
for 2.6.24, and I also want to explain what one has to take into account
or be beware off. If I stumble about this, I think others will also
(imho).

I have written a script to change suid binaries and servers,
automating the examples I give on the webpage.
In the sequence of commands I was setting fscaps and than chown the
binary. Now with the aforementioned patch the fscaps are removed when
I chown and the script wasn't working anymore. My point is not my
script, it's being surprised and being a bit at a loss. Documenting
this helps to clarify things and users to adopt this feature.

The matter with "xinit:  Operation not permitted..." happens, when I
(unprivileged user) close a from a console started X session. Similar to
Andrew Morton'S http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/11/23/15 . The 2.6.24-rc2
kernel has capabilties enabled but /usr/bin/xinit has no capabilities
set. It remains the black screen with a cursor, the windowmanager is
closed. Is this known? Is this a problem? Does anyone else observes
this?
As far as I understand, I dont have to grant / to use capabilities even
when the kernel has capabilities enabled.

Chris