Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 02:32:01PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:18:01 +0000 Russell King <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Nor should they.
> >
> > So what you're saying is...

> > > I screen all bugzilla reports.  100% of them.
> > >
> > > - I'll try to establish whether it is a regression
> > >
> > > - I'll solicit any extra information which I believe the reveloper will need
> > >
> > > - I'll ensure that an appropriate developer has seen the report
> > >
> > > And yes, the number of arm-specific reports in there is very small.
> >
> > that just because you do this everyone in a select clique, who you include
> > me in, should be doing this as well.
> >
> > No.  Thank.  You.
>
> No, I don't mean that at all and this was very plainly obviously from my very
> clearly written email.  Let me try again.

If you screen all bugzilla reports then you'll know that bug #9356 arrived
at about 1400 GMT yesterday.  It's hardly surprising then that your utterly
crappy responses to Natalie's message (which, incidentally, wasn't copied
to me) sent within 24 hours of that report cause *great* annoyance.

> No, no subsystem developer needs to monitor new bugzilla reports.  This is
> because *I do it for them*.  I will actively make them aware of new reports
> which I believe are legitimate and which contain sufficient information for
> them to be able to take further action.

On the whole you do an excellent job with feeding the bug reports to
people, and while I recognise that you're only human, things do
occasionally go wrong.  For instance, sending clearly marked Samsung
S3C bugs to me rather than Ben Dooks (who's in MAINTAINERS for those
platforms.)

> > > Is that [email protected]?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > If so, MANITAINERS claims that it is subscribers-only.  That would cause
> > > some bug reporters to give up and go away.
> >
> > Find some other mailing list; I'm not hosting *nor* am I willing to run a
> > non-subscribers only mailing list.  Period.  Not negotiable, so don't even
> > try to change my mind.
>
> Making a list subscribers-only will cause some bug reports to be lost.
>
> Tradeoffs are involved, against which decisions must be made.  You have
> made yours.

So how are they lost when they're held in a moderation queue and are
either accepted, a useful response given to the original poster, or
are forwarded to someone who can deal with the issue.

I don't think "subscribers only" describes my lists - we don't devnull
stuff just because the poster is not a subscriber.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of: