Re: [poll] Is the megafreeze development model broken?

Adrian Bunk wrote:

>> The core libc and supporting libraries is the core. and the toolchain
>> the core dev. Those can be updated twice or even once a year. The kernel
>> can be updated once a month if you like.
>>

> A new release of the Linux kernel has more than half a million lines of
> code changed. If you do any estimates based on how many lines of changed
> code equal one newly introduced bug you see the problem...
>
> And the difference between an upstream kernel and a distribution kernel
> are 3-6 months of testing and bugfixing.

True. But the libc and toolchain dont need to be as "dynamic".

>> I stopped using debian myself and used DIY linux based toolchain and
>> libc. Thats the stable core that i have been using for 4 months. If
>> debian can reduce the footprint of the "stable core" and do monthly
>> releases of package bundles i will use it again.
>>

> Geeks like you and me want the latest software
> (I'm using Debian unstable/testing).
>
> But most users want a Linux installation that simply works - and this
> includes all software on the system at all times.

Yeah me too. Sidux and mepis does not do megafreezes. I think whats
needed is to build and test groups of packages that work closely
together and release them frequently as a group.

--
Democracy is about two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.

begin:vcard
fn:Rogelio M. Serrano Jr
n:M. Serrano Jr;Rogelio
org:SMSG Communications Philippines;Technical Department
adr:;;;;;;Republic of the Philippines
email;internet:[email protected]
title:Programmer
tel;work:+6327534145