Re: Laptop's HDD

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:

The problem comes from a very high rate of load/unload cycles of the heads that reaches the 300.000-600.000 limit in 2-3 years (with smartmontools it can checked it with "smartctl -A /dev/sda") . There are reports of HDD dying even earlier for this problem [2]

 I use:

# hdparm -B 255 /dev/hda

to get rid of the problem with an ATA disk where I do not care that much about power consumption. I do not know what the equivalent for a SATA disk would be, but chances are it will be easier to track it down with the reference above.

Although other power management features exist for SATA, for most hdparm stuff PATA and SATA are pretty much the same. Same command set, simply a new bus over which to transmit the commands. A great deal of early SATA is actually bridged PATA, even.

	Jeff