Re: Use of virtio device IDs

Avi Kivity wrote:

> I dislike strings.  They make it look as if you have a nice extensible
> interface, where in reality you have a poorly documented interface which
> leads to poor interoperability.

Its not really a full fledged interface, but rather just a simple id
mechanism.  A decentralized id mechanism with less administrative burden.

On the flip side, a centralized namespace has the advantage of
controlling collisions at the expense of administrative overhead.  After
designing systems both ways in the past, I prefer to reduce the admin
burden, but that is just me.

> PCI means that you can reuse all of the platform's infrastructure for
> irq allocation, discovery, device hotplug, and management.

Its tempting to use, yes.  However, most of that infrastructure is
completely inappropriate for a PV implementation, IMHO.  You are
probably better off designing something that is PV specific instead of
shoehorning it in to fit a different model (at least for the things I
have in mind).  Its not a heck of a lot of code to write a pv-centric
version of these facilities.

> You can write it for new guests but backporting it to older guests will be a
> huge task.
>
> We will support non-pci for s390, but in order to support Windows and
> older Linux PCI is necessary.

I don't know if I would agree with "necessary".  "Easier" perhaps. ;) By
definition once you are PV you are hypervisor aware.  Now its just a
matter of plugging in the appropriate plumbing to bridge the hypervisor
to the guest-os.  Some might be easier than others, sure.  But all
should be extensible to a degree.

But I digress.  I haven't really had much of a chance to follow the
latest developments here as I have been lost in -rt land for a few
months now.  But I know Anthony and Rusty are top-notch, so I'm sure you
guys have it under control.  Hopefully, one day soon I will be able to
join you guys again (perhaps to the KVM team's dismay ;).

Regards,
-Greg