2.6.24-rc2=another train wreck with amanda

Greetings;

I have this line in my /etc/modprobe.conf:
options dm-mod major=238

And I had a fsckup while building 2.6.24-rc2 cuz I thought it needed to be
based on 2.6.23.1 that has made 2.6.24-rc2 the only kernel that will boot
without a panic, killing init message.

I can survive that, but amanda (tar) went bonkers last night and tried to do a
level 0 on everything, which is about 50GB, but its virtual tape size is only
11GB.

The last time this happened that line above fixed the device mapper to a
stable address at a major of 238 which tar was happy with.

An ls -l of /dev/mapper:
[root@coyote /]# ls -l /dev/mapper
total 0
crw------- 1 root root  10, 62 Nov  6 23:40 control
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 238,  0 Nov  6 23:40 VolGroup00-LogVol00
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 238,  1 Nov  6 23:40 VolGroup00-LogVol01

So that hasn't changed, so what did?  Amanda itself hasn't been changed in
several months, running the 20070727 snapshot of amanda-2.5.2p1 all this
time.  Tar was updated by smart or yumex 2 or 3 days back, so it worked
correctly after the update.  That leaves something in 2.6.24-rc2.  I didn't
build rc1.

Other than that, rc2 seems stable.  But auditd failed to start in the bootup
sequence. I think that's minor and may predate this particular kernel.
However, selinux did a relabel before it booted, could that be the cause?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)