Re: [RFC/PATCH] Optimize zone allocator synchronization

Don Porter wrote:
From: Donald E. Porter <[email protected]>

In the bulk page allocation/free routines in mm/page_alloc.c, the zone
lock is held across all iterations.  For certain parallel workloads, I
have found that releasing and reacquiring the lock for each iteration
yields better performance, especially at higher CPU counts.  For
instance, kernel compilation is sped up by 5% on an 8 CPU test
machine.  In most cases, there is no significant effect on performance
(although the effect tends to be slightly positive).  This seems quite
reasonable for the very small scope of the change.

My intuition is that this patch prevents smaller requests from waiting
on larger ones.  While grabbing and releasing the lock within the loop
adds a few instructions, it can lower the latency for a particular
thread's allocation which is often on the thread's critical path.
Lowering the average latency for allocation can increase system throughput.

More detailed information, including data from the tests I ran to
validate this change are available at
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~porterde/kernel-patch.html .

Thanks in advance for your consideration and feedback.

That's an interesting insight. My intuition is that Nick Piggin's recently-posted ticket spinlocks patches[1] will reduce the need for this patch, though it may be useful to have both. Can you benchmark again with only ticket spinlocks, and with ticket spinlocks + this patch? You'll probably want to use 2.6.24-rc1 as your baseline, due to the x86 architecture merge.

	-- Chris

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/1/123