Re: WANTED: kernel projects for CS students

Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:09:04 +0200 (CEST)
> Jan Engelhardt <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Oct 16 2007 13:06, Mark Gross wrote:
>>> base function:
>>> Starting from a stock distro (FC, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE...) and put down a
>>> kernel.org tree and automatically create a .config with all the
>>> drivers needed for the platform I'm building on.
>> Too easy. Since opensuse's udev loads most of the modules for your
>> hardware, all that would be needed is to transform the lsmod list of
>> modules plus the static options in /proc/config.gz (stuff like
>> psmouse) back into kconfig options ;-)
>
> Well, at that point it does not know whether or not you
> occasionally plug in an ipod or a digital camera.
>
> Going back from the lsmod output to all the right CONFIG
> options is also not as trivial as it sounds, due to all
> the dependencies there are.

As part of Linux Kernel Driver DataBase, yesterday I "solved"
also this problem:
>From a module name, I can obtain relative the kernel
configuration item.

You can see the result in http://cateee.net/lkddb
(grep '^drv module' drivers-db). I count 2570 such items.

But I've some problems on few cases:
sometime there is one module name with more CONFIG_s.
Normally such cases happens in modules on the same directory,
as support module or as parent module.
I don't see a method to distinguish the right (minimal)
configuration.

One solution would be to remove some dependencies on
Makefile, and checking and ev. creating such dependencies
on Kconfig. But this require a kernel modification.

Or you think there is a better (non-invasive) method?

ciao
	cate