Re: [2.6 patch] let USB_USBNET always select MII

On Thursday 01 November 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> All this USB_USBNET_MII trickery is simply not worth it considering how
> few code it saves.

Depends on what systems you're talking about.  Forcing unused
code into the kernel is not free, especially if that's made into
a design policy and applied repeatedly to many subsystems.

> As a side effect, this also fixes the following compile error reported
> by Toralf Förster:

Why not just fix the thing which changed and broke the build?

Or if reverse dependencies can't be made to work sanely, then
have those Ethernet-adapter minidrivers depend on NET_ETHERNET
and then select MII.  (To make the relationships be simple
enough that current Kconfig can handle them.)

I have a fair number of usbnet devices.  Not one of them needs
MII or NET_ETHERNET.

- Dave