Re: [build bug, 2.6.24-rc1] CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m & CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146_VV=y

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Trent Piepho <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > the attached config (generated via make randconfig) fails to build due
> > > to the combination of these config entries:
> > >
> > >   CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m
> > >   CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146_VV=y
> > >
> > > i found no obvious Kconfig way to force VIDEO_SAA7146_VV to be modular
> > > when VIDEO_DEV is modular - is there a good solution for this?
> >
> > I guess you didn't like my reply to your first message about this?
> >
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/7/145
> >
> > kbuild support for modules used as libraries is really poor.  The only
> > way to do is use select on the library module, and then have all the
> > dependencies of the selectee be included in the selector, which must
> > be done recursively so that any modules selected by the selectee have
> > their dependencies added to the selector.
>
> any patch for me to try? This bug is blocking automated randconfig
> build-testing quite frequently so it's quite a showstopper.

For some time now I've thought the whole ttpci config/makefile setup
sucked.  I've finally gone though and redone it and fixed this problem too.

Here is the patch:  http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/5320c2571183

All the rest of the selectors of VIDEO_SAA7146_VV are in the V4L menu,
which contains the necessary dependency on VIDEO_DEV.

Of course the real fix here would be have kbuild not force us to manually
add all the recursive dependencies of a selected module to the dependencies
of the module that selects it.