Re: [git patches] libata fixes

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Can we change git-am to accept two dashes as well as three?  :)
>
> It seems pretty common, not just with Mikael but several others who send
> patches to me.

Well, git-am actually used to be a lot less strict about the dashes, and
we've made it *more* strict rather than less, because the more of these
breaks we accept, the more likely it is that something that was intended
to be part of the message gets thrown out.. So I'll say that I'm a bit
nervous about extending it again.

The reason for the three dashes is actually that that is what a *diff*
starts with. So if you look at what "closes" a description as far as
git-am is concerned, they are currently all things that are likely to
start a patch: "Index: " or "diff -" or "--- <filename>", and that last
case was then extended to be "manual break" even without the filename
information.

See git/builtin-mailinfo.c: patchbreak().

But you could try to sell it to Junio. He's the maintainer, and while I
care about some other things and will argue violently against them, when
it comes to something like this, Junio is the guy to go to.

That said, I really think you could just try to educate the people you
work with. Maybe they just never even realized that "three dashes" is what
you're supposed to use!

		Linus