Re: sata_nv and dynamically changing DMA mask?

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:17:40 -0600
Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:

> In the sata_nv driver, when running in ADMA mode, we can do 64-bit DMA.
> However, when an ATAPI device like a DVD drive is connected, we can't
> use ADMA mode, and so we have to abide by the restrictions of a normal
> SFF ATA controller and can only do 32-bit DMA. We detect this and try to
> set the blk_queue_bounce_limit, blk_queue_segment_boundary and
> blk_queue_max_hw_segments to the values corresponding to a normal SFF
> controller.

What about the DMA padding buffer from nv_adma_port_start and internal
buffers for commands like request sense that don't come via the request
queue directly.

Also it seems nv_adma_use_reg_mode() can decide to send other commands
via the non ADMA interface even for ATA devices. Are we 100% certain it
never decides to let through a command with DMA via the register
interface in this case - what do you see if you instrument the function ?

Alan