Re: [BUG] [linux-pm] Commit "Hibernation: Enter platform hibernation state in a consistent way)" makes my system to resume instantly from S4

On Monday, 29 October 2007 23:36, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> On Monday 29 October 2007 22:37:37 Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Bingo! doing the above fixes this problem.
> > > And... strange, since I did test the system with e1000 unloaded, but still got same bug,
> > > back when I chased that bug, thus it is probably not related to e1000 and WOL.
> > >
> > > the ACPI wake-up source (I have read the DSDT, and ICH datasheets, thus I know that this is a set of bits in southbridge)
> > > of e1000 is shared with EHCI and HDA sound codec.
> > > (But usb on my system only able to wake from S3, and the soundchip which can theoretically wake up from S3 too, doesn't have this ability)
> > >
> > > (But disabling this wakeup source, fixes this bug too)
> >
> > OK
> >
> > Please get back to device_suspend() in hibernation_platform_enter() and try
> > to unload ehci_hcd before hibernation with the wakeup source enabled.
> Well, ... bingo! again!
>
> Replacing back the device_suspend() , and unloading the ehci_hcd fixes the problem!
> Even more, loading this module back causes this problem to reappear, and vise-verso.
> All wakeup sources are enabled always.
>
> Note that I don't have any USB 2.0 devices yet.
> The usb devices I have are: keyboard,mouse,and joystick.
>
> So now this problem looks fixable, I take a look at ehci driver.

This is very similar to what I've been observing for some time on one of my
test boxes wrt suspending to RAM and in that case the problem is also related
to EHCI (this is a pretty old Celeron-based box with an Intel chipset).

It looks like in some situations, on some platforms the EHCI controller
triggers a resume right after the suspend (or hibernation) if the driver's
.suspend() routine is executed before invoking the ACPI firmware to put the
system into the sleep state.

[The "ehci_hcd causes box to resume immediately after suspend to RAM" thread on
linux-pm was about this problem.]

Greetings,
Rafael