Re: [2.6.23.1] PCI device locking up the computer when its module loads

--- Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> This same sort of problem was just fixed for iwl4965.  The fix for that
> was to disable device interrupts until everything the driver needed
> (including interrupt handler) was set up and ready before re-enabling
> them, I think.  See the thread "iwl4965 detection problem" and the mail
> from Jes Sorensen on 2007-10-26.

The problem with this case is that pci_enable_device() is the very first thing that the driver
calls, but (as I understand it) I have no hope of sending commands to the device until this
function returns. This is a "catch 22" situation from my perspective, because how am I supposed to
know which device interrupt to disable if I can't call pci_enable_device()?

Does the 2.4 kernel survive because IRQs are disabled globally during module_init() or something?

Cheers,
Chris