Re: [RFC, PATCH] locks: remove posix deadlock detection

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 09:38:55PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > It doesn't require the system to detect it, only mandate what to return
> > if it does detect it.
>
> We should be detecting at least the obvious case.

What is the obvious case?  A task that has never called clone()?

> If SYSV only spots simple AB - BA deadlocks or taking the same lock twice
> yourself then that ought to be sufficient for us too.

You can't deadlock against yourself -- either with POSIX locks or BSD
locks (POSIX simple upgrades/downgrades the lock; each byte in a file
can only be in either read-locked state or write-locked state for a
given process.  BSD locks release the lock and wake all waiters before
attempting to acquire the lock in its new state).  In my other post, I
showed a simple AB-BA deadlock that can't be easily detected.

a retrograde step."