Re: [AppArmor 00/45] AppArmor security module overview

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> My main concern for now is a description of what it tries to protect
> against/in what cases you would expect to use it. THe reason for asking
> this explicitly is simple: Until now the LSM discussions always ended
> up in a nasty mixed up mess around disagreeing on the theoretical model
> of what to protect against and the actual implementation of the threat
> protection. THe only way I can think of to get out of this mess is to
> have the submitter of the security model give a description of what his
> protection model is (and unless it's silly, not argue about that), and
> then only focus on how the code manages to achieve this model, to make
> sure there's no big gaps in it, within its own goals/reference.

I really, really like this proposal. It is essentially what I have
always wanted.

> On the first part (discussion of the model) I doubt we can get people
> to agree, that's pretty much phylosophical... on the second part (how
> well the code/design lives up to its own goals) the analysis can be
> objective and technical.

I will try to do that as soon as possible. While I will strive to be
both clear and precise, achieving both is challenging. So, if someone
discovers a mis-match between the description and the code, would a
patch to the description be an acceptable resolution, if it did not
render the model silly?

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.               http://mercenarylinux.com/
	       Itanium. Vista. GPLv3. Complexity at work