Re: 2.6.24-rc1: First impressions

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:29:00 +0200
Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:

> > wow, really nice results! Peter does know how to make stuff fast :)
> > Now lets pick up some of Peter's other, previously discarded
> > patches as well :-)
> >
> > Such as the rewritten reclaim (clockpro) patches:
> >
> >   http://programming.kicks-ass.net/kernel-patches/page-replace/
>
> I think riel is taking over that stuff with his split vm and policies
> per type.

I am.  Taking every single reference to a page into account simply
won't scale to systems with 1TB of RAM.  This is why I am working
on implementing:

http://linux-mm.org/PageReplacementDesign

At the moment I only have the basic "plumbing" of the split VM
working and am fixing some bugs in that.  Expect a patch series
with that soon, so you guys can review that code and tell me
where to beat it into shape some more :)

After that I will work on the policy bits, where we can really
get performance benefits.  The patch series should be mergeable
in smaller increments, so we can take things slowly if desired.