Re: Possible 2.6.23 regression - Disappearing disk space

James Ausmus wrote:
Since updating my laptop to 2.6.23, occasionally all of my free disk
space on my root partition will just go away, with no files accounting
for the space, with no odd messages in dmesg or my syslog. If I
reboot, I immediately have the proper amount of free space again. Here
is the output of a du -sx * on /, and the output of the df command
when the problem is occuring, followed by the same info after a fresh
reboot (literally just did the command in the failed state, then
immediately rebooted and ran the same commands again) - any thoughts
as to what might be happening?

Clearly some process is still using a deleted file. However, if it doesn't happen with 2.6.22.x kernels, it would seem fall under the category of regression, in the "used to work" sense. Before going further you may want to be really sure that an older kernel doesn't do this, so no one wastes time on a non-problem.

Assuming the older kernel works fine, it's possible that some new behavior of the kernel as causing a process to misbehave, and step one is to use lsof and try to find the process. It's possible that "top" might be useful, although whatever is using the disk space may just be lurking.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>