Re: Possibility of adding -march=native to x86

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:30:09PM +0100, Michael Lothian wrote:

> > > How about an autodetect to set the right options here too using cpuid?
> > >
> > > With a warning of course that the code produced will be specifically
> > > for the native cpu that it's compiled on.
> >
> > And kill off all Distro kernels right ? IMO to set that auto magically is bad.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gabriel
> >
> Yes for something like a distro kernel it is bad but as I said before
> this isn't what this is for.
>
> Eventually it would be nice to to a make localkernel and for a
> customised kernel to be build compiling in all pci / pci express
> drivers into the kernel and all usb devices as modules.
>
> Auto magically detecting the cpu would be part of that
>
> I hate getting a new piece of kit and then have to figure out from
> lspci which options need to be turned on and the the really iritation
> part of finding the option in make menuconfig

What exactly is irritating?
Please name the problems so that they can be fixed.

> Detecting the cpu and using march=native could be all part of that

You don't need march=native for this.

You have to set the right config option for your CPU and you
automatically get the right compiler options.

> Mike

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.