Re: Is gcc thread-unsafe?

Nick> Hi David, [BTW. can you retain cc lists, please?]

Nick> On Thursday 25 October 2007 14:29, David Schwartz wrote:
>> > Well that's exactly right. For threaded programs (and maybe even
>> > real-world non-threaded ones in general), you don't want to be >
>> even _reading_ global variables if you don't need to. Cache misses
>> > and cacheline bouncing could easily cause performance to
>> completely > tank in some cases while only gaining a cycle or two
>> in > microbenchmarks for doing these funny x86 predication things.
>>
>> For some CPUs, replacing an conditional branch with a conditional
>> move is a *huge* win because it cannot be mispredicted.

Nick> A *conditional* store should no be a problem.

Nick> However the funny trick of doing this conditional add
Nick> (implemented with unconditional store), is what is going to
Nick> cause breakage.

Nick> On the CPUs where predicated instructions are a big win, I'd
Nick> expect they should also implement a conditional store for use
Nick> here. However they might be slower than an unconditional store
Nick> (eg. x86's cmov), and in those cases, gcc might just do the
Nick> non-conditional store.

>> In general, compilers should optimize for unshared data since
>> that's much more common in typical code.  Even for shared data, the
>> usual case is that you are going to access the data few times, so
>> pulling the cache line to the CPU is essentially free since it will
>> happen eventually.

Nick> This is not just a question of data that you were going to use
Nick> anyway.  gcc generates memory accesses to locations that would
Nick> never be accessed Even stores. It is basically impossible to say
Nick> that this is a real performance win. Even on single threaded
Nick> code: consider that cache misses take the vast majority of time
Nick> in many loads, which gives a little hint that maybe it's a bad
Nick> idea to do this ;)

>> Heuristics may show that the vast majority of such constructs write
>> anyway.  So the optimization may also be valid based on such
>> heuristics.

Nick> I'd never say the optimisation would always be useless. But it's
Nick> a nasty thing to have on by default, and apparently even with no
Nick> good way to supress it even if we want to.

>> A better question is whether it's legal for a compiler that claims
>> to support POSIX threads. I'm going to post on
>> comp.programming.threads, where the threading experts hang out.

Nick> Either way, I think we really need a way to turn it off for
Nick> Linux.

--
Samuel Tardieu -- [email protected] -- http://www.rfc1149.net/