Re: rt73usb: support for wireless in Kohjinsha subnotebook

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 17:27:07 Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 15:41 -0400, Daniel Hazelton wrote:

> > > Step 1: Ask the author.
> >
> > Agreed. This should have been done before this discussion even started.
> >
> > > Step 2: if the author doesn't reply, then we can have this discussion
> > >
> > > MODULE_LICENSE is just a random string that could have been added by
> > > anybody, not necessarily the author.  Unless you can determine the
> > > intent of the author explicitly, a single MODULE_LICENSE is not
> > > sufficient to concretely determine the license of the code.  It's only
> > > in one file.  There is nothing to explicitly state the overall license
> > > of the whole work unless each file has a header referring to the
> > > license or unless there is a license document distributed with the code
> > > as a whole.
> > >
> > > In the absence of any other indication, MODULE_LICENSE doesn't not
> > > concretely determine the license of the code.  You can assume it does,
> > > but that's your gun to put to your own head.
> >
> > The intent of MODULE_LICENSE is to mark the license on the code. This is
> > clearly stated in several places in Documentation/ (if my memory serves).

> > > Just because the module may be loading illegally says _nothing_ about
> > > the license of the code.
> >
> > No, but it is a mis-use of MODULE_LICENSE, which is supposed to state the
> > correct license on the code.

> > > "deceptive" is also not "this code code is definitely GPL".  Doesn't
> > > matter whether it's deceptive or not.  We do not know that the code is
> > > GPL.
> >
> > Deception in order to create a situation whereby you can prosecute people
> > for violation of the law is illegal. Therefore not distributing the code
> > with any indication as to the license other than MODULE_LICENSE and
> > attempting to prosecute afterwards is illegal. QED: even if the code is
> > not GPL'd (and such could be learned by contacting the author), the fact
> > that it ships without any indication of the license other than
> > MODULE_LICENSE implies that the license is what is stated and prosecution
> > on the grounds that it isn't becomes entrapment.

> > > Arguable doesn't mean that it's concrete enough to pass legal muster.
> > > I am not a lawyer, but this just doesn't pass the bar.
> >
> > I know several and have asked one that is a very good friend. He agreed
> > with my interpretation of the presented facts - that since the only
> > indication of what the license on the code might be is MODULE_LICENSE it
> > can be safely assumed that the license is what that states. Any attempt
> > to later prosecute because the license is not what is stated would
> > constitute entrapment - which is illegal.
>
> I asked Tom Callaway, who heads up all the legal/licensing issues for
> Fedora.  He said essentially "it won't be in Fedora" on just the basis
> of MODULE_LICENSE.  I can run it past Red Hat lawyers too.  It's just
> not clear with only MODULE_LICENSE, and not clear pretty much means
> Don't Touch until it becomes clear.

I have to agree with this. There are better ways to determine the license -
including contacting the author. However, in the lack of any other source of
information about the license MODULE_LICENSE can be used as a (somewhat)
defensible position. It'd cost a lot of money and be a very hard fight,
though - which is one reason why no company would (or should) take the
chance. Nor should any person, unless they happen to have the money to fight
the battle.

DRH

--
Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.