Re: request_firmware() and in-kernel modules

Greg KH wrote:

I'd recommend using the non-blocking mode, that way, when userspace
finally gets running, it can handle the firmware events properly, and
your kernel code will have not timed out already.

Thanks Greg, that did the trick.

What the value of FW_ACTION_NOHOTPLUG? If I specify that instead of FW_ACTION_HOTPLUG, I presume I don't get automatic loading of the firwmare via the hotplug subsystem, but request_firmware() still times out. Why would I ever not want to take advantage of hotplug?