Re: LSM conversion to static interface

Yes, I think Crispin has succinctly summed it up:  irrevocably closing
the LSM prevents commercial customers from using security modules other
than that provided by their Linux distributor.  As Sarbanes-Oxley and
other regulatory laws require these customers to use "standard
kernels", the result is a rather dreary form of vendor lock-in, where the
security framework is coupled to the distribution.

Though it would require a somewhat undesirable complexity of CONFIG_
flags, it should be possible to construct flexibility enough for everyone
to get what he wants.  For example, it should be possible to configure
kernels with a single security framework hard-linked, AND it should
also be possible to configure kernels such that the default security
framework could be completely replaced at boot time by another, be it
out-of-tree module, or other.

I agree entirely that preserving this form of freedom for the end user
makes Linux a much stronger technology than not.  For one thing, the
consequences of closing LSM are fairly certain to irritate enterprise
commercial customers, which is probably a sign that the technology has
taken a wrong turn.

Tommy F.