Re: forcing write-back from FS - again

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:19:41 +0300 Artem Bityutskiy <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> some time ago we were talking about doing write-back from inside a file-system
> (http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=119097117713616&w=2). You said that I'm not
> the only person who needs this, because the same thing is needed for delayed
> allocation.
>
> The problem is that if we initiate write-back from prepare_write() and we are
> having a dirty page lock, we deadlock in write_cache_pages() which tries to
> lock the same page.
>
> You suggested to enhance struct writeback_control and put page that should be
> skipped.

> but it does not dot actually work, because if we have two processes forcing
> write-back from write_page(), they will mutually deadlock (A waits in
> write_cache_pages() on a page B has locked, B waits on inode or page A has locked).

Yeah, I was just thinking that as I read this ;)

> So this way is not ok, do you have any other ideas?
>
> We could mark page clean temporarily before doing write-back, and mark it dirty
> again, but this seems to be inefficient (although I'm not sure, need to dig
> these functions deeper, but they _seem_ to traverse the radix tree and change
> tags, so marking one page dirty may need to change many tags, but again, I did
> not really dig tis yet).
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

We could just skip locked pages altogether in writeback.  Perhaps in
WB_SYNC_NONE mode, or perhaps add a new flag in writeback_control to select
this behaviour.

It _should_ be the case that the number of locked-and-dirty pages which
writeback encounters is very small, so skipping locked pages during
writeback-for-memory-flushing won't have any significant effect.  The first
step should be to add a new /proc/vmstat field to count these pages and
then do broad testing (especially on blocksize<pagesize filesystems) to
confirm the theory.

We'll still need to synchronously lock the page in
writeback-for-data-integrity mode though.