Re: git/cscope with x86 merge

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

> It's not only next. The latest release (1.5.3.4) has this problem.

Yes. It's ok in the master branch, but due to unlucky timing with noticing
this bug, and Junio being away, no releases got cut with the fix.

In general, the kernel people haven't done many renames (I think it's
something we have avoided historically, just because it makes diffs almost
totally unreadable - even while git supports "rename diffs", they are
turned off by default just to be compatible with people who use quilt and
raw patch).

So we've basically had a "perfect storm" of (a) Junio being away, (b) a
really stupid bug that got introduced recently, (c) a few broken
heuristics that had little testing because the kernel almost never does
renames anyway and (d) suddenly lots of renames in the kernel all at once.

(It's not even just the x86 stuff - we had all the watchdog drivers being
moved around too, so we probably had almost as many renames the last two
weeks than we've had in the two years preceding it ;)

[ Just for fun, I checked. Yup. In the last two weeks, git finds 1120
  copies and renames. Over the last two and a half years (ie the whole git
  timeframe), we have 2136 of them. So we really have done more renames in
  the last two weeks than we have over the whole rest of the git history,
  and it wasn't just my imagination ]

			Linus