Re: what to call it after 2.6.23 but before 2.6.24-rc1?

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Erez Zadok wrote:

> One more small git question: I keep a separate tree for unionfs, which I
> rebase often based on your tree.  But my tree sez:
>
> $ git-describe
> v2.6.21-rc1-22880-g3a1848d
>
> "v2.6.21-rc1"?  What am I missing (some tags I forgot to pull?)  Why isn't
> git-describe saying that I'm based on your latest tree?

Sounds like you don't have the tags. Do

	git fetch --tags <repo>

to get them.

There can be several reasons why you don't have the tags, but the two most
likely ones are:

 - really old versions of git didn't fetch tags by default.

   (not very likely, because it's *really* old, but still, worth
   mentioning as one possible reason)

 - if you don't fetch into a "tracking" branch, but instead do an
   "anonymous" fetch into FETCH_HEAD that is then directly merged (or you
   just rebase your work on top of it), git won't fetch tags, since it
   assumes that you only want to fetch the one head you mentioned.

but regardless, you can always fetch the tags manually.

		Linus