Re: [bug] ata subsystem related crash with latest -git

On Wed, Oct 17 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > I think you'll always hit it if you have a scatter-gather list that is
> > exactly filled up.
>
> In fact, I think you'll hit it even if you use the "for_each_sg()"
> helper function. Exactly because it does the sg = sg_next(sg) at the end
> of the for-loop, so it will do it for the last entry too, even though that
> will access one past the end.
>
> So it really *is* the case that every *single* use of that SG chain needs
> to be switched over to only do the sg_next() when required, or sg_next()
> needs to be fixed to look at the current-in-use entry (which we *can*
> access) when it decides what to do about the next one (which we can *not*
> access).

Auch yes, ok nevermind that last email. There really is no way around
allocating an extra 'pad' entry right now, so the SCSI_MAX_SG_SEGMENTS
at 129 should fix Ingo's oops and the other crap is void.

> Moving the sg_is_chain() bit to the previous entry would work, but it
> requires that nobody who could have a chained scatterlist must *ever*
> access "sg->page" directly - you'd always need to use some helper function
> that masks off the bit, eg
>
>  - rename "sg->page" into "sh->page_and_flag", and make it "unsigned long"
>    instead of a pointer.
>
>  - change every single "sg->page" access to use "sg_page(sg)" instead:
>
> 	#define sg_pointer(sg)	((void *)((sg)->page_and_flag & ~1ul))
>
> 	static inline struct page *sg_page(struct scatterist *sg)
> 	{
> 		return sg_pointer(sg);
> 	}
>
>  - change "sg_next()" to do
>
> 	static inline struct scatterlist *sg_next(struct scatterlist *sg)
> 	{
> 		if (sg->page_and_flag & 1)
> 			sg = sg_pointer(sg+1)-1;
> 		return ++sg;
> 	}
>
> where the magic is exactly the fact that now "sg_next()" will *not*
> derefence the next SG entry unless the current one was marked
> appropriately.
>
> And then *creating* the chain obviously needs to properly mark the
> next-to-last entry with the "next entry is a pointer" flag.
>
> Big diff, it sounds like. But I don't see many alternatives. Jens?

Big diff is not a problem for me, my primary concern would be making
sure that the interface is solid. The above also has the nice side
effect of making all sg elements usable, so we don't waste any. IIRC
this was even debated months ago when I first proposed sg chaining, I
shied away from it because I thought it would seem huge and too
invasive. Ah well. I'll get digging on this.

--
Jens Axboe