Re: NMI watchdog

Steven Rostedt wrote:
--

(Strange characters.)

John Sigler wrote:

APIC timer registered as dummy, due to nmi_watchdog=1!
Clockevents: could not switch to one-shot mode: lapic is not functional.
Could not switch to high resolution mode on CPU 0

Do you know why nmi_watchdog=1 disables high-resolution timers?

And why nmi_watchdog=1 implies APIC timer registered as dummy?

Crap, I forgot about that. Thomas explained why to me once, and I forgot.

Thomas,

Could you explain again why using the IO-APIC watchdog disables hrt?

Does it still crash? If not, does it crash if you turn off highres?

It's not that simple. My app depends on hrt. I'd have to tweak it to make it work when hrt are not available.

BTW, it's not a crash, it's a complete system lock-up. Nothing works, and I really do mean nothing: ping is ignored, I can't open an ssh connection, the serial console won't budge, even if I send SysRq combos...

Or better yet, try turning off dynamic-ticks. We had a bug once before
that had a problem with the new RCU code and dynamic ticks.

I didn't enable dynamic-ticks kernel support.

CONFIG_TICK_ONESHOT=y
# CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS_BUILD=y