Re: [Linux-usb-users] OHCI root_port_reset() deadly loop...

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 03:06:31PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Alan Stern <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > Unfortunately that simply isn't possible.  No matter what you do, the
> > user can always unload ehci-hcd and then load it back in again.
>
> Yes we can, by making OHCI and EHCI one module with a top-level
> dispatch.  If you enable both OHCI and EHCI, the top-level
> module will dispatch the host initializations in the correct order.
>
> This is what I've suggested from the beginning.

Wait, you can have hardware with both EHCI and UHCI too.  Does that mean
we should merge all three together?  I don't think so :)

But perhaps we can order the hardware init stuff from all three together
like this into a separate module they all depend on.  In a way, that's
what the lock tried to do, right?  Are we just not catching all places
we could have hardware being talked to by two modules at the same time?

thanks,

greg k-h