Re: [HP ProLiant WatchDog driver] hpwdt HP WatchDog Patch

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:05:50 -0400 (EDT)
[email protected] wrote:

> Hp is providing a Hardware WatchDog Timer driver that will only work
> with the specific HW Timer located in the HP ProLiant iLO 2 ASIC. The
> iLO 2 HW Timer will generate a Non-maskable Interrupt (NMI) 9 seconds
> before physically resetting the server, by removing power, so that
> the event can be logged to the HP Integrated Management Log (IML), a
> Non-Volatile Random Access Memory (NVRAM). The logging of the event
> is performed using the HP ProLiant ROM via an Industry Standard
> access known as a BIOS Service Directory Entry.

Hi,

Your patch looks quite clean in general; however it does make me wonder
if it should either leverage or expand the arch/x86/pci/pcbios.c
infrastructure for doing BIOS32 calls and share that.... it's kinda
unpleasant as a general thought to have drivers poke this deep into
various guts of the system/bios.... esp if the common code has to do
something very similar already.

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven