Re: What still uses the block layer?

> For the desktop I don't object to the scsi layer.  I object to the naming.
> Merging a half-dozen different types of devices into a single name space, and

They *are* SCSI devices. USB storage is a SCSI over USB transport. ATAPI
is a SCSI over ATA transport. SAS is much the same thing, as is FC, and
it continues.

With the exception of ATA disk for historical reasons SCSI essentially
won the battle of command formats.

> problems to the point where common cases (like my laptop) aren't impacted by
> them during early boot.  I don't think anybody (outside the embedded space)
> is actually upset that /dev/hda now goes through the scsi layer:  they're
> upset Ubuntu 7.04 no longer calls it /dev/hda.

For the emedded CF using world we could do with a truely dumb ATA only CF
driver, possibly even with pure polled support that used neither the IDE
or the ATA layer.

Alan