Re: [lm-sensors] [ patch .24-rc0 0/5 ] SuperIO locks coordinator

Jim Cromie wrote:
this patchset (on hwmon-git) re-introduces superio_locks module, previously RFC'd here, where I 'borrowed' another thread..

The module shares out slots/shared-reservations containing
a mutex, so that multiple modules can coordinate access to
the sio-port.

Im crossposting - LKML for more reviewers, lm-sensors for
folks with the hardware and (perhaps) more interest.

If its not too late, please consider for 2.6.24-rc0

01 - adds superio_locks module

User-drivers specify the sio-port characteristics they can support
device-ids, sio-port-addrs, enter & exit sequences, etc in a struct superio_search (in __devinit, preferably). superio_find() then searches existing slots/shared-reservations for a matching sio-port, and returns it if found. Otherwize it probes port-addrs, specified by find() user, and makes and returns a new reservation.

superio_find() finds and reserves the slot, returned as ptr or null
    superio_release()	relinguishes the slot (ref-counted)

Once theyve got the reservation in struct superio * gate (as named in patches 2-5) they *may* use

    superio_lock(gate)
    superio_enter/exit(gate)
    superio_inb/w(gate, regaddr),
    superio_outb/w(gate, regaddr, val)

or they can do it themselves with inb/outb, by using gate->sioaddr, etc.

<snip>

- Hans, I think Ive added all your suggestions, thanks.

Your welcome, at a first look over things look pretty sane now. I'm willing to do a full review of this, but first I would like to see some more input from others.

Regards,

Hans