Re: Revised signalfd man-page

Hi Davide,

There were two questions that you overlooked in my earlier draft of the
signalfd man page.  I've revised one of the questions slightly.  Could you
look at these please:

.SS execve(2) semantics
[TO BE COMPLETED]
.\" FIXME
.\" Davide, what are the intended semantics after an execve()?
.\" I would hope that the descriptor remains available, and can
.\" be used to read any queued signals.  This is analogous with
.\" traditional behavior, where blocked signals that are pending
.\" prior to an execve() remain pending after the execve().
.\"
.\" Below, was my original question, based on how things
.\" worked at one point, but perhaps they have changed by now:
.\"===
.\" As far as I can work out, after an execve() the file descriptor
.\" is still available, but reads from it always return 0, even if:
.\"
.\" a) there were signals pending before the execve().
.\"    However, sigpending() shows the signal as pending,
.\"    and the signal can be accepted using sigwaitinfo().
.\"
.\" b) we generate the signal after the exec.
.\"
.\" Is this intended behavior (the "orphaned sighand" condition
.\" described above?)?  Is it a bug?
.\"===
.\"
.SS Thread semantics
[TO BE COMPLETED]
.\" FIXME Davide, a signal can be directed to the process as
.\" a whole, or to a particular thread.  What are the intended
.\" semantics for signalfd()?  If a thread calls signalfd(),
.\" does the resulting file descriptor return just those
.\" signals directed to [the thread and the process as a whole],
.\" or will it also receive signals that are targeted at
.\" other threads in the process?

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?  Grab the latest tarball at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages/
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source files for 'FIXME'.