Re: arch merge fallout.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 04:14:54PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

 > On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Dave Jones wrote:
 > >
 > > Something I find useful is to just do for eg..
 > >
 > > git log arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.c
 > >
 > > from time to time, to figure out when certain changes happened,
 > > or even to grep for something in a changelog.
 > > With that file moved, git refuses to tell me about the log
 > > of a file that doesn't exist, and the log of the moved
 > > file in arch/x86 just has a single commit, detailing the move.
 > >
 > > Is there an easy way to get the complete log of a file?
 >
 > The "--follow" flag will follow renames when doing a log, so a simple
 >
 > 	git log --follow arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.c
 >
 > will do it.

Hrmm.

$ git log --follow arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.c
fatal: ambiguous argument 'arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.c':
unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions

Using --follow on the arch/x86 post-merge file gives me even less info
than it does without it :)

 > [ Although I actually introduced a bug in that last week, so if it gives
 >   empty output for you, add a "--stat" to get a diffstat (or "-p" to get
 >   the whole patch) to work around a stupid mistake. That bug is in both
 >   1.5.3.3 and 1.5.3.4 - and Junio happens to be away for two weeks, so
 >   it's not fixed in any release yet. I have a trivial patch for it if you
 >   care, but the "use -p" workaround is usually what you want to do anyway,
 >   which is probably why  nobody even noticed it was broken! ]

Is what I'm seeing above indicative of this bug ? Or something else?
Adding -p or --stat makes no difference at all.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk