Re: Syba 8-Port Serial Card Unidentified By Kernel

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 05:31:05PM -0400, Chris Bergeron wrote:
I've just installed a multiport serial card released by an outfit called Syba. This is an 8 port serial-only card with an Octopus style breakout cable. The main chipset on it is an ITE IT8871F.

Well 8250_pci.c mentions IT8871, so it is probably 8250 style in
interface then.

That's what I had thought too after a quick LKML search. Doing a bit more research (I'm starting to think the IT8871F on the chip is misleading) it looks like that support is for a single parallel multi I/O card (with the other 887x cards being serial/parport PCI cards).

I've got two questions on this: Is there a driver I should try force loading on it (and if so, what options to use)? and is there any useful testing I can do to report back to the LKML on this card?

How many serial ports is your kernel configured to use?
The kernel I'm using has 16 for both the NR_UARTS and RUNTIME_UARTS (these machines generally have a minimum of 4 ports). dmesg doesn't show the kernel as recognizing the card and only ttyS0 and ttyS1 (the two onboard ports) show up on boot.

-- Chris