Re: [code] Unlimited partitions, a try

Alan Cox wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:11:52 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> wrote:

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
15 partitions (at least for sd_mod devices) are too few.
Now when we have 20-bit minors, can't we simply recycle some of the higher bits for additional partitions, across the board? 63 partitions seem to have been sufficient; at least I haven't heard anyone complain about that for 15 years.

This was proposed ages ago. Al Viro vetoed sparse minors and it has been
stuck this way ever since. If you have > 15 partitions use device mapper
for it. I'd prefer it fixed but its arguable that device mapper is the
right way to punt all our partitioning to userspace

Sure. However, that takes having that bit of userspace in even the most trivial configurations, and not just on bootup, but continuously.

	-hpa