Re: video resume stuff

Jiri Kosina wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:

I suggest we tackle this *after* the x86 merge.
Well, we still have the regression on jikos' strange system, and I would like to understand what is going on there.

Sorry for this taking too long. Finally I had the time to play with this again, so here goes the current summary. I have a system here, that:

- with 1d67953f2bda8876045c24ae58841f27d9bb7572 (just before the setup code rewrite), resumes nicely in VGA console (acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode kernel parameter is needed), everything works

- with c39736823232bc3ca113c8228fa852c09fba300e (just after the setup code rewrite), VGA text console is garbled after resume - looks like the video RAM contains some strange data (patterns from BIOS post can be recognized, there are some various-colored stripes across the screen, etc). The machine also seems to be frozen (no keyboard LEDs working, etc).

- with 2.6.23-rc9, the video doesn't come up at all, I can't even see the garbled picture any more - the display stays blank, the LED diod is yellow (i.e. looks like completely no signal from VGA card). On the other hand, the machine seems to work otherwise

Jiri, what particular video mode are you running in? In other words, what is your vga= parameter set to? In fact, what does your entire kernel command line look like?

Also, if you could extract the information requested in:

http://marc.info/[email protected]

... that would really help.

	-hpa

(who notices we really need to export boot_params to userspace for sanity)