Re: [NFS] What's slated for inclusion in 2.6.24-rc1 from the NFS client git tree...

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 12:59 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > Wouldn't a mount option be better?
> >
> > I suppose that might be OK if you know that the 32-bit legacy
> > applications will only touch one or two servers, but that sounds like a
> > niche thing.
> >
> > On the downside, forcing all those people who have portable 64-bit aware
> > applications to upgrade their version of mount just in order to have
> > stat64() work correctly seems unnecessarily complicated. I'd prefer not
> > to have to do that unless someone comes up with a good reason why we
> > must.
>
> Confused.  You don't need to modify mount(8) when adding a new mount option?

Prior to 2.6.22, the 'mount' program used a binary blob for passing the
NFS mount options to the kernel.
It is only very recently that we have started doing in-kernel parsing of
text strings, and in order to make use of that, people will need to
upgrade to the latest version of nfs-utils.

Trond