Re: [patch 1/2] getattr - fill the size of pipes

> Cute feature, but it is (I assume) a Linux-specific extension and is
> something which we'll need to maintain for ever and it invites

Actually it used to work on the old old Linux pipe code.

> unportability to older Linuxes and other OSes and it introduces some risk
> of breakage of existing applications.  And it slows down fstat on a pipe.

Most Sys5 based boxes happen to put the right value there but not
everyone and its not guaranteed in the slightest

> Given that the info can already be obtained via ioctl(FIONREAD) anyway, I
> don't think that (gain > pain)?

Nor me - any application trying to reduce the syscall count would just do
a very large read and get the data and size in one go.